May 8, 2011

May Flowers Challenge by Christy

Design Team Member Christy submitted this layout for the May Flower Challenge.  She said:

While I do love flowers (and readily admit to hoarding quite a few Primas in my stash) I will admit that I cringed a little when I heard that Scrap Our Stash's May challenge was all about flowers. I find flowers difficult to use on pages since my home is male dominated. I quickly realized that I had to get very creative with the types of flowers I would use for this challenge. I recently experimented with making my own zipper flower. I think the flowers look cool and they can have a bit of a masculine edge to them. However, the flowers I made were black...which is really not the colour you think of when you think of Spring flowers. Black flowers make me think of Halloween, which is why you are now going to see a Halloween layout in May.

 My son was a Predator (from the movie last year). I wanted a sort of grungy page to go along with his costume. I splattered some Tiger Lily and Black magic glimmer mist to provide a grungy background. I loved the Pink Paislee canvas label. It provided me with a title as well as a direction for the rest of the page. To match it's used look, I embossed some Coredinations cardstock with a Sizzix folder. I then distressed it to reveal parts of the orange colour in the core. The beads are actually part of a necklace my son got for me. We were Trick or Treating in Disney's Boardwalk hotel. They have games for the kids to play and the bead necklaces were one of the prizes. My Son was thrilled that I wanted to use it on a page (he even went back and won me several more necklaces just to be sure I had enough). I think it's a nice touch with the satin ribbon and the staples. I used Making Memories papers for the other flowers. The smallest ones were made with a simple office style hole punch. I was inspired by a Big Picture Classes blog post to make the medium size flowers. I used a button punch to make mine. I used a Basic grey stamp with white ink along with an office date stamp, to make the badge. I stamped them on black card stock and then used clear embossing powder. So there you have it...a sort of grungy, 
Gothic floral page in the middle of May. Proof positive that flowers can be used on any page when you think outside the box.


Now it's your turn to take the May Flower Challenge.  See all the details HERE!

7 comments:

  1. WOW girl! I'm always amazed at your creativity! It is a wonderful layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great page - and great use of your zipper flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute! I love that you used the necklace and the grungy feel is perfect for your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the compliments! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You hit this challenge on the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are very neat flowers, and on a Halloween page! I wouldn't have thought of that but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete