November 16, 2010

November Challenge by Malina

















This month's challenge requested that we complete one of three assigned sketches but I chose to do a double layout highlighting the Crop for a Cause which my company, Reflections Keepsakes partnered up with LSS Rochester Scrapbooking Co. to host. In order to stick with the challenge requirements I chose to use two of the sketches and combine them to create a single sketch. I am a huge fan of Becky Fleck who encourages designers to think outside the sketch and manipulate the sketch to meet the needs of the design.


Well, I needed to include some memorabilia such as the thank you card from the organization we were raising funds for and I decided to include the thank you gift and card my business partner and I provided all the Croppers. I also did not have a vertical image so I worked from a horizontal photo. Instead of journaling I made the card my journaling. Instead of flower embellishments I used the keepsake. The title on this page is for the Crop for a Cause we hosted but then I wanted to take it a step further and share what the crop inspired. For the second page and second sketch I really manipulated my images to fit into the design and utilized the sketch journal area to include the sentiment I had written for the cards Reflections made for women to give to other women as a reminder to get a breast exam. This side of the layout tells the second half of the story, after the crop for a cause.


"Pink Scrappers for "Green Papers" became a month long project in which I and my business partner invited the Rochester local scrapbook stores, Rochester Scrapbooking Co. and VIP Scrapbook Gallery' as well as Rochester based internet company Wigham Designs, to raise as much "green paper" as possible for the direct benefit of Breast Cancer patients & their families living in our own community and the Join the Journey organization (learn more about them at http://www.jointhejourney.org/). I needed the story but didn't want to take from the sketch design and so I used the pattern paper panels as well as the first set of photos to hide my journaling. When each panel is lifted the story of Pink Scrappers is told and on the back of each panel I have documented specific things I want to remember such as how much we raised, or specific activities or people associated with the project.


Visit me at http://www.reflectionskeepsakes.blogspot.com/  after November 15th to learn more about what this project accomplished and what it continues to accomplish and how you can be inspired!

To see all three sketches for the challenge and the details as to how you can take the challenge - see November Challenge below.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. I love that you were able to use the sketch to scrap such an important topic to you. I really like that you hid your journaling under the panels and that you were able to work in the memorablia. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Malina..this is awesome!! Love how you "used" the sketches, but really made it all your own. Your layout is just absolutely gorgeous....love the hidden journaling too! Great topic too!! Thanks for the info too...great to hear..and Congrats on a job well done (the crop & the layout!!)!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Malina....totally fab!~! Such a great way to incorporate something so important into your art. Such great pp too! You really rocked these layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! I love how you used different colors of pink with some purple and yellow too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing double layout! It looks gorgeous! How wonderful of you to help raise money for people with cancer and their families :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW great work on this double lo!! I love the soft feel of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great way to make the sketches work for your particular layout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find it so hard to make a one colour Lo- You made it look simple. I love that you have turned it into a double page layout
    And most of all what a great way to raise money

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great - and how cool to use the sketch with the hidden journaling - and all for such a worthy cause. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The layout is phenomenal! I love that you got to scrap for a cause!

    ReplyDelete