June 10, 2010

$$Frugal Friday Tip$$

Recoloring Letters to match your layout by Amy


Design Team Member Amy submited this Frugal Friday Tip.

I had previously purchased some American Crafts Thickers that were SUPER cheap. Looking more at the price than the product, i bought multiples of the same stickers. Come to realize later, nothing in my life matches hot pink polka dot Thickers. So, i threw them in the bottom of my stash.

For this layout i wanted some large, dimensional stickers for my title. Sadly, i could not find any to match my layout, so i decided to try painting my pink Thickers. And it worked! I thought the paint would chip off and it didn't! So, I painted my four letters with brown paint and sprayed them with glimmer mist to give them a more distressed look. In about 10 minutes i went from an "unusable" sticker to a usable one!


If you complete a project using this tip - please email a picture to scrappinpsycho@live.com so we can post it here.

If you have a frugal tip you'd like to share - send it to scrappinpsycho@live.com and we will post it here in the future.


Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. I love the idea behind this. I know I am very guilty of buying things just because they are on sale. Having the ability( and willingness to try new things) really opens up the possibilities in one's stash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome tip!!! I love how the dark background makes the pictures stands out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've so done this! I haven't tried with letters like these, but I did use white foam thickers and with a marker made them the color that I needed. Worked like a charm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a cool idea. what kind of paint did you use?
    i've inverted letters to make them become other letters before, but this is a cool trick to add to the bag 'o tricks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used making memories paint, but i'm sure any kind of craft paint would work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not used paint on them, but I often use my sharpies to color the white ones. Painting sounds like a wonderful idea! thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea!! I always forget about painting them!!!
    barb :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea - next time I'll look more at the font - then the color. Sometimes I see thickers pretty cheap - but they don't seem to be a color I would use! Now you've solved all my problems! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an awesome tip! I am surprised the paint stuck as well. Makes me want to get out my alphabet stickers and make them into something I can use. They've been forgotten and I should really use them up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I recently spray painted old frames but didn't ever think of doing my letters! I will have to do this!

    ReplyDelete