June 14, 2010

Scrap Our Stash Sketch Challenge #1

Graduation Card by Ren Yi

Future Design Team Member Ren-Yi submitted this card for the Scrap Our Stash Sketch Challenge. This is what she said, "Here is my take on the June Sketch Challenge:

This is a graduation card for a cousin that just finished high school. I wanted to send him off with a "good luck" sentiment as well as tell him how proud we all are. I have been inspired by the SOS group that I was determined to submit a June Sketch Challenge and try to get more practice with sketch challenges. I find it hard to keep true to the templates and always take creative liberties. Here are mine:
* I flipped the sketch vertically and horizontally to accommodate my stamp restrictions (digis would have more helpful in this case ;), since Olivia the Owl's branch looked better coming from the left.
* By keeping the branch on the left I could create visual arc lines with the branch and the top half of the circle, as inspired by the dotted arc lines in the sketch.
* The three scored lined was an interpretation of the five segments of the sketch. This allowed me to segment my paper and anchor my design more cleanly.
* The button with a bit of man-ly twine substituted for the flower.

More technical deets are on
my blog.
I hope you can still see the elements of the sketch that deemed as the inspiration to this card, even given my many creative liberties. Any tips on keeping true to a sketch?
Posted by Picasa
Now it's your turn - get your sketch layout in before the deadline!

9 comments:

  1. Love the owl! What a cute card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ren-Yi,

    I think you've got it - the idea of using a sketch it to adapt it to your own needs and style. It doesn't have to look like the original sketch - the sketch is just a starting point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great card! I love the owl. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love owls! I think you did a great job using the sketch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, great idea for adapting to a card! Thanks for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cute and the owl is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a cute card! Love the owl too! Great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone- thanks for the positive encouragement. Now time to roll those sleeves up and throw myself at the July Sketch Challenge ;)

    ReplyDelete