November 19, 2010

November Challenge by Christy

Design Team Member Christy submitted the following layouts for the November Sketch Challenge.  She said, "One of my biggest challenges is finishing off albums. It's not always the lack of scrap time. Sometimes, it is getting inspired by newer photos and moving on to new albums before one is finished. The sketches for the November challenge gave me the inspiration to complete some layouts in some albums that have awaited completion for months.
   The first sketch sprung to life in my mind as the title page for a spring album.



 I used the making Memories Panorama collection and some vellum. Since I live in a  tropical locale, this collection of papers was perfect!


I love the palm trees on the paper, but really hated the idea of covering them up. The stitched vellum panels still allows the design to show through while providing an anchor for the title block and embellishments. Since I used a collection of papers and embellishments, this page was made in a snap!


  I love using memorabilia on a page and I felt this 2nd sketch was perfect for some that I had from a recent trip to Planet Hollywood. I sort of adapted the sketch and my page is a very loose interpretation of it. I believe strongly that you make a sketch work for you...you don't work for the sketch.


The place mat was used as the base piece for the layout. I again used vellum to allow the design to show through. In this case, the vellum also helps tone down the loud design and colors of the place mat while giving me a place to fit in my journaling. The large vellum block and smaller vellum pieces are my interpretation of the hearts from the sketch.


Don't forget to use an archival mist on keepsakes like this place mat. I fit in 2 photos I had taken...one of us and one of the restaurant. I moved them down a little to cover the stock photos on the place mat. I also used a found VIP coupon as the title block.I will say that I love the quick versatility of embellishing with a hat pin. The silver pin through the prima flower gave it a little extra something I felt the title block was missing. I handstitched around the drink glass my son got as a souvenir (since I did not have good photos of it) and then added some glossy accents to make it pop more.


Using a collection of items and sketches provide a fast easy way to get pages done. If you don't buy kits or items from a  collection, you may want to try sitting down and making up little kits with items from your stash. You may find that you create some pages you love in a short amount of time.

Now it's your turn to take the sketch Challenge.  See all the details in November Challenge below.

Don't miss your chance to apply for our Design Team - see all the details in the sidebar.

Our Pagerize This Challenge is a fun way to lift someone else's creation.  Check out all the details in Pagerize This Challenge #4 below.   

6 comments:

  1. Great pages Christy! I especially like how you put that first one together. I tend to buy mostly kits or papers with coordinating embellishments now and not so many random things. I should go through and do like you suggest and make up some of my own kits with theses odds and ends. It definitely does make scrapping go faster and I enjoy it more too which is why I have change the way I buy (for the most part).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time getting albums finished too. I get bored with the pictures after a while. That's awesome you got two done with the sketches this month!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love both of these pages! With the simplicity of the first one, your pictures will surely POP. And I love adding all the memorabilia to your layout in the second one...super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great use of the sketches - and in completing these pages. Love how you adapted them to fit your need. Your stictching really adds to the dimension of the page.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, girl, you are on top of it! Two sketches! They are both wonderful! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete