July 19, 2011

July Red, White and Blue challenge by Christy

This month's Red, White and Blue challenge was the perfect motivation for me to scrap the photos of my son learning to swim. He participated in the Swim America program and finished up with it a little over a year ago. I've had the photos sitting, printed and grouped by theme begging for me to get them onto pages, but I was never sure of what paper to use. I had even bought swim team themed stickers quite some time ago when I knew he was going into the program. I realized that the small star print paper and borders in my little 6x6 kit of Pink Paislee's home town summer line would go swimmingly with the photos.
  I set to work, happily splattering sapphire glimmer mist onto the card stock.After fidgeting with the photos, I settled on a design. However, I was not happy at all with the team photo. My son seemed lost in the large group of children. I wanted some way to highlight him while still having him a part of the group. I chose to use a scrap piece of vellum. I used an craft knife to cut out a little window. It was a wonderful solution to my dilemma.

Please pardon the blurry photo and the covered faces, this was done for privacy
Pink Paislee border and Paper
Sapphire glimmer mist
 7 Gypsies number tags
Jolee's by you stickers-goggles
Making memories snaps
SEI Ink blue ink
Me and mY bug Ideas Stickers

I was very pleased to use up some older Making Memories silver snaps. I used my son's first ribbon as a part of the page while adding some of the sticker's I had been holding onto for so many years. In these photos, my son could not yet swim well, but they allowed him to participate with a coach as a spotter. he raced in the seahorse race(pool noodle) and a paddle board race.
  My second page started off with the best of intentions. When I was almost done, I realized I had a big problem. My photos were off-centre.


 I chose to draw attention away from that using markers and hand stitching. The off kilter squares sort of hide the off kilter photos and border. It may not be as noticeable here due to the lovely straightening feature of my photo editing software. ;)
  We'd love it if you shared some patriotic themed pages and projects with us here at Scrap Our Stash. With all of the wonderful events this month, I am sure you will have plenty of photo ops!

Now it's your turn to take the July Challenge - see all the details HERE!

8 comments:

  1. Two great pages!!! Love how you used your son's ribbon in the first layout and the stitching you used on the second page!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pages I love your creative get-arounds for the pictures, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love these pages - so fun, so artsy, and you've gotten lots of pictures into them. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are both awesome Christy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I love that you got alot of pictures on the pages and the glimmer mist is perfect for the photos!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! Great use of Red, White & Blue!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pages, I love the circle, stripes and zig zags in the first and the sewing in the second, great ways to draw attention to your photos, K x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the goggles, and what a great idea to use the vellum to focus on your "lost" child.

    ReplyDelete