January 22, 2011

January Challenge by Tracy


Posted by PicasaNew Design Team Member Tracy submitted this calendar for the January NEW Challenge. She said, "this project was inspired by the something NEW challenge at Scrap Our Stash. This frame was found at a local thrift store for $2.50 and when I saw it I thought it would be great for a scrapbook page display. But after our family scrapbook calendar kept falling off the wall, I decided that we needed something more sturdy and nicer looking.



The frame was white and since our walls are white I decided that I could pull some of the colors from my favorite kitchen decoration (which is a metal rooster) and use them on this project. I really like the end result. And although we don't have a monthly scrapbook page we still have some of our favorite photos from 2010 displayed. I first sanded and then primed the frame, and then I painted it black (using acrylic paints from my stash) once dry I painted it red (the red was mixed with black to make it a darker red) and then I wiped off some of the red paint with a damp cloth, I repeated that step a couple of times allowing the paint to dry for a few minutes in between each coat. The end result is a red distressed with black looking frame.

This month's challenge has really got me thinking about all the new things that I want to try with home decor as well as scrapbooking. Smiles, Tracy"

Now it 's your turn to take the January New Challenge. Check out all the details HERE!

11 comments:

  1. What a frugal idea! I love how you painted your frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CUTE!!! I may have to do something like this for work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea- love the photos displayed down the side- great find in the thrift shop

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great idea - and frugal too! Great way to capture all those family events and appointments too.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project. Love how you made the $2.50 frame look new and expensive

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great project! Who would ever guess you spent do little on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is just gorgeous! of course I am partial to red. Your calendar was a terrific idea. It turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. At first I thought you bought the frame, it's so pretty. Nice Job! Love how you are displaying your pics with the calendar month.

    ReplyDelete