March 24, 2011

Frugal Friday Tip: Tin Can Recycling by Christy

Last November, I got a Sizzix Texture Boutique. While I love what I can do with it, I really have not used it to its fullest potential. When I saw a recent tutorial about using soda cans and punches, I had the idea to dust off the texture Boutique and embossing folders to see what I could come up with. The results were quite wonderful!

Materials: Embossing machine and folders
               soda cans, rinsed out
               old scissors
               a Bic Mark it or other permanent marker
              optional: a child (My son likes to use my embossing machine. So I cut the soda cans while he worked         
                 the machine.  My son thinks this is great fun.)

You will need to carefully cut a slit into the can. Then remove the top and bottom. You are left with a curled piece of aluminum. Then it's just a matter of placing this into an embossing folder and putting it through the machine. I would just advise caution since the can is a little sharp after you cut it.

We experimented with a variety of designs. Some look better than others. You can use some punches to create your own shapes or use the permanent marker to draw a design of your choice.Then use old scissors to cut it out. The marker also comes in handy to draw an inked look to the edges of your cut shape. 

I found glue dots to be the best way to adhere the shapes to my page. It's also very easy to punch holes  for brads with your paper piercing tool. You could also conceivably choose to hand stitch on your metal embellishment. I plan to dust off my alcohol inks to see how well they would look on my newly embossed designs.
Sassy Lil Sketches 3-14-11 design
Cream Acrylic paint
MME paper
Maya road Chipboard motif inked in Colorbox black ink
Paper Trunk Carson, black alphas
Black paint stamped with a round lid
DMC floss
All in all...a wonderful and inexpensive way to make your own page embellishments and recycle.

Do you have a frugal tip to share?  Send the tip along with a picture to scrappinpsycho@live.com.  You could be featured as our next Frugal Friday Tip.  

Be sure to scroll down the page - Scrap Our Stash posts something new everyday.





9 comments:

  1. What a great idea, so effective and recycling too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i never thought of this--way to cute. love the banner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful idea!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Christy!! I almost didn't post because I was so anxious to go hack up a soda can and try out this idea!!! LOL

    So many applications...now if I only drank soda.....sigh...lol I might have to buy some soda just so I can try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a geat idea - you're not only using your stash - your recycling too! Maybe I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea - thanks for sharing! Will definitely try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would be sure to cut myself if I tried this but it looks awesome on your page!

    ReplyDelete